Thursday, October 7, 2010

Weekend in Spearfish

We ventured to Spearfish, SD last weekend. Spearfish is roughly 45 miles west of Rapid City and we loved it. The scenery is gorgeous - no matter where you are, seems like you can always see the Black Hills.

Our West River trip was for Kylie & Stuart's wedding. Mason was a ringbearer and my Dad did the Scripture readings. We all piled into Dad's truck (thanks!!) and began our journey across the state.

First stop - Chamberlain to change Mason and let him run around for awhile. Chamberlain is where you cross the Missouri River and East River becomes West River.




The little guy did great on the drive. We were making good time so we decided to try and get to Wall for lunch and our next stop. Somewhere near Murdo, I resorted to the portable DVD player. Good idea! We arrived in Wall in time for lunch at the famous Wall Drug. In their "backyard" is a great area for little ones to walk around, so we did. I bought myself a cool black & white necklace there too.




And no, Mason did not eat all the food in front of him. I knew he wouldn't so I ate what he didn't. Save some $$ that way. Little fell asleep from Wall to Rapid and that was it. After a quick stop at Walmart in Rapid (that was interesting!) for some almond milk and more graham crackers, away we went to Spearfish.

Kylie & Stuart got married at Indian Springs, a park right in town. There's a small waterfall and a granite outcropping that really add to the location, plus all the fall colors.




Saturday morning, we drove through Spearfish Canyon to see the colors. Someone told my Dad the colors peaked two weeks ago but I digress. We loved the drive and Mason got a nap - two for one deal!



While in Spearfish Canyon, we found Roughlock Falls. Great area to get out and walk around! It was chilly "up" in the canyon - just shy of 40 degrees.






Took the really scenic route and wound up in Hill City, which is a cute little town right in the heart of the Black Hills. My favorite stop is the winery - Three Rednecks is a particular wine they have out right now.


After a quick lunch, we went back to the hotel quick so Mason could at least attempt a nap before his big day as ringbearer! But it wasn't meant to me. He wanted no part of photos at all and Kylie & Stuart were so understanding. There were three ringbearers - Jackson, Landon and Mason. But he looked very dashing in his tux:




Here's the bridal party and the view from the gazebo looking towards the audience.



It was a gorgeous day for an outdoor wedding - how blessed Stuart and Kylie were. Mason did great - went right up the aisle with Jackson and Landon.

Visiting before the wedding -




The minister's sermon was about sacrifices in marriage. I remember him saying how Kylie had made a huge sacrifice in giving up her family to take on Stuart's - there was something else to it for Stuart but I was teary-eyed at the sentence that I can't remember it! I've never heard that said before but how true.

Mason and I went back to the hotel right after the dance started. He was beyond tired at that point after having no nap that afternoon. But, the next morning, he was up and ready to go!



I do have more pix (tons) that Jon took on my Grandpa's camera but until we can get the CD or get to Harold's Photo in SF, we can't pull them off the camera. It's an older digital Nikon...guess we didn't realize that when we borrowed it. Hoping Grandma has that CD around somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment