Thursday, August 5, 2010

Flooded

Cousin Mary in North Dakota - this is for you!

Last week, we got some very heavy rains, 4-8 inches on average fell in about 24 hours. Friday night, we learned that the Vermillion River in Montrose was flooding so we grabbed the kid and the camera and away we went. We found family gathered out at Mike & Mary's (cousins) who live just outside of town.

This is their driveway and the ditch in front of their house:



By this time, Buckwheat is beyond restless and I can't hardly hold onto him. Cousin Colleen to the rescue! I wasn't worried - Colleen has four boys, she's been down this road. She took him cautiously towards the water...





The little guy LOVES anything to do with water, so I really wasn't surprised when he enjoyed floodwaters. For the record, this water is just river water, it hadn't reached town yet where it got contaminated. We only allowed him to go ankle deep under Colleen's watchful eye. Thanks for entertaining him! :). He was rather sad (ok, it was a meltdown) when we had to go but great-grandma Lois was out that night and I understand she enjoyed watching him splash around.






After leaving Mike & Mary's, we drove up to an area called Warner's Hill. It's a beautiful overlook of the valley - but last week, we got all the flooding.



No comments:

Post a Comment