Saturday, November 20, 2010

What Happened to Thanksgiving?


I remember back in July at Hobby Lobby - they had all their Christmas stuff out. I thought that seemed a tad early. Aisles and aisles of Christmas items and barely anything for Thanksgiving. Now, I'm not knocking Christmas, because it's one of my favorite holidays, right up there with Easter - but Thanksgiving seems like it's becoming a thing of the past - you hear about Black Friday and all the football games but what about the true meaning behind Thanksgiving and Christmas as well? I don't know about you - but I've plenty to be thankful this year - and every year. Wednesday evening will find us at our church for the Thanksgiving Eve service.

Now that I'm a mommy, it's hit me just how commercialized Christmas and even Thanksgiving have become. It's my goal - and hope - that my child(ren) will know and understand these special days enough so that they don't get so wrapped up in the materialism of everything.

A friend of mine told me that she and her husband give their children three gifts at Christmas plus a stocking with simple things in it and that's it. They give three gifts - because that's what baby Jesus received from the Wise Men. We are going to implement this theory this year and when Mason is ready, we will explain to him why our family does it this way. Of course it's nice to receive gifts - but the best gift of all has already been given to us - the birth of Jesus all those years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment