Today, the state of South Dakota lost someone special. Captain 11, also known as Dave Dedrick, died after a lengthy illness. He was one of the first to get KELO-TV on the air...for those who don't know, I'm currently employed there. I remember watching this show on Saturday mornings but I know that it used to come on in the afternoons as well. I think many of us in SD feel that we lost a part of our childhood today.
Captain 11 hosted a childrens show for 41 years. The show was cartoons and a treasure chest - but it was filmed and produced in Sioux Falls. I have memories of going to the station and having a birthday party at the Captain 11 show. He would also do his show at fairs or other large gatherings in the state. Many remember the Spencer tornado in 1998 - and there were comments from those who went to the town to help and clean up that "things would be OK - because Captain 11 is here." Dave Dedrick was also the weather man on KELO TV for many, many years.
For more about the Captain - see the link below.
Below that link, I put two of the famous Captain sayings. This is from the introduction of show...
One man in each century is given the power to control time. The man chosen to receive this power is carefully selected. He must be kind. He must be fair. He must be brave. You have fulfilled these requirements; and, we of the Outer Galaxies designate to you the wisdom of Solomon and the strength of Atlas. You are Capta...in 11!
And this - is how he closed the show. How true these words are today. He often spoke of good character and said that we must be honest, fair and brave.
"Remember, gang. Mind mom and dad, eat everything they tell you to eat, brush your teeth and say your prayers before you go to bed. That's the most important part. So long crew, nice being with you."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I share your memories-- I've found myself (more than once!) having to explain why I'm waving with both hands and both feet. I saw on facebook that he passed at 10:06... I don't know if it's true but it does seem like that would be his time.
ReplyDelete