Friday, March 12, 2010

New Hobby

What's your hobby? Over the years, I've had some on and off, but nothing real consistent. I usually lost interest after a few months. Late last fall, I found a hobby that I really like. It keeps me on my toes, makes me double check all my information and forces me to think. It also requires math - those of you close to me, know I'm horrible with math.



My name is Nichole and my hobby is couponing. I am not a crazy who has a stockpile or buys 10 papers on Sunday but I have been doing my best to use coupons to keep our budget and expenses in line. Here are my coupon principles I try to stick with:

1. Use a manufacturer's (say, from the Sunday paper) + a store issued coupon, perhaps from Target. This is called "stacking". It may also help you score your item for next to nothing or if anything, greatly reduced.

1A. If possible, stack coupons when the item you need (my favorite - diapers and wipes!) is on sale to maximize savings. But then again, in the northern Plains, we can't always wait for sales. :)

2. Be willing to shop around (I can do this easily online - via blogs and online store flyers), if you are able to do so. Don't overlook places like Walgreens and their Register Rewards program and the Dollar General's that are out there.

3. Menu plan - yes, planning a menu helps you save money. You won't be running to the grocery store every night or grabbing take-out. I have friends who plan their meals out based on their local grocery store's ad - find the sale items and match with a coupon.
3A. When I do our menu plans, I rummage through our turnstile, freezer and fridge first to see what we have on hand. I write those items down and go from there. If we need anything additional, we can go the grocery store Sunday after church.

4. Just because you have a coupon for an item(s) - don't buy it unless your family will USE it!

5. Don't rush out and get to every deal or match-up you see posted online. Many of the items / stores you see posted online, are no where near us here in the northern Plains. You'll make yourself crazy, feel overwhelmed and go through more gas. Deals & sales cycle through the year, just like the weekly store circulars.

Coupon Resources

When I found out I was expecting, I got registered on several sites for coupons and special offers. I registered with Huggies, Pampers, Similac, Children's Place, Gymboree, Gerber, Earth's Best, etc - anything to do with baby supplies. Huggies has been awesome with the items I've received in the mail - coupons for diapers and wipes almost monthly. I swapped coupons with friends who could use ones that I couldn't.

Here are some of my favorite couponing sites. Some of the sites will ask you install the coupon printer which doesn't take long at all. You may or may not need to enter a zip code. I also check hip2save.com and forthemommas.com - I've gotten lots of free samples of items from these sites. minnesotacouponadventure.blogspot.com is authored by a gal in the Twin Cities.

Coupons.com

target.com - scroll all the down to "grocery coupons"

moneysavingmom.com

lifeasmom.com

5dollardinners.com

If you have a favorite couponing site, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment